Our Mission: United Way of Mahaska County empowers our communities by promoting education, encouraging healthy living, and strengthening financial stability.
Summary: The Executive Director is responsible to the Board of Directors for the general management of the organization. The Executive Director administers, coordinates, and directs the organization’s operations, including overseeing all programs and events, leading the annual fundraising campaign, and communicating the UWMC story to the community.
The Executive Director is an exempt, salaried employee of the United Way of Mahaska County. Normal office hours are Monday through Friday from 9 am to 5 pm. However, some meetings and/or special events require time outside the regular schedule.
- Conduct the annual United Way fundraising campaign, including coordinating workplace presentations, individual outreach and general marketing.
- Serve as advisor to Board of Directors and carry out board policies and procedures.
- Supervise budget, audit and all financial management with support of Accountant position.
- Oversee current programs, such as Oskaloosa Summer Lunch, Take-Along Weekend Food, Day of Caring and more with support of Community Impact Coordinator.
- Develop new programs, where appropriate, by identifying community needs and assembling partners to address issues.
- Coordinate funding allocations to partner nonprofits by maintaining a fair and complete grant process and convening community volunteers to provide input.
- Build and foster relationships with current and future nonprofit partners.
- Coordinate public relations and marketing by building cooperative relationships with media outlets, maintaining a year-long outreach plan, and overseeing the creation and distribution of printed and online materials.
- Lead Strategic Planning efforts to work with board to create vision and goals for the future.
- Serve as primary spokesperson and organizational representative for United Way.
- Engage volunteers across all organizational goals by setting clear expectations and providing continuous feedback and gratitude.
- A Bachelor’s degree or equivalent work experience.
- Excellent organizational skills, analytical skills, oral/written communications skills, and problem solving skills.
- A passion for serving the underserved and a heart for improving the lives for others.
- The ability to work without close supervision.
- Technical skills with basic office equipment and software.
- Strong interpersonal skills, able to work well with people in small and large groups.
- Good working knowledge of Mahaska County area.
- Degree in Social Services or related field.
- Prior employment experience in United Way.
- Work experience in executive management, experience with nonprofit organizations, demonstrated success in fundraising, public relations, volunteer coordination and community leadership.
Email resume and cover letter to Steve.Burnett@mahaska.org by November 1, 2018.